Monday, September 2, 2013

Flea Market Fun

One of my favorite things to do is treasure hunt at flea markets on the weekends! I personally love the Pasadena City College Flea Market, which takes place on the first Sunday of every month, because it always has great one of a kind pieces of furniture at affordable prices! Now that my house is starting to come together, I was on a hunt for unique things to decorate it with including some smaller antique wood furniture, picture frames, small mirrors, and cute vases. Although I didn't get everything I was in search for, I still had a blast and found some other treasures. One of the reasons I love antique flea markets so much is that you just never know what you're going to find and bring home! I ended up getting some really random things like old iron hangers, a gold belt, a wooden horse thing to decorate the garden, some plants, and a couple picture frames from the 1940s.

I kept my outfit super simple and comfortable yesterday. I wore an Emma and Sam tank top, Joe's Jeans cutoff shorts, Jeffrey Campbell booties, and a hat. I spiced up the outfit with layers and layers of silver jewelry from Vanessa Mooney.

Below are some helpful tips for flea market shopping.

Tips:

1) Wear comfortable shoes because you'll be doing a whole lot of walking!
2) Apply sunblock and bring a hat because like yesterday, the sun can get really intense. Always protect your skin from the sun's intense rays because skin cancer ain't no joke, y'all! 
3) Either Arrive Early or Arrive Late--if you have specific items in mind and you want the first pick, go early. That way you'll  also avoid the heat. But there are benefits for arriving near pack up time. If you're willing to miss out on the first picks, go later because sellers are more willing to adjust prices at the end of the day when the probability of selling their items are lower. It really depends on your own preference. I personally prefer to go early and get my pick first.
4) Make sure to bring cash.
5) Go prepared with water and maybe some snacks.
6) If you're in search for furniture, make sure you bring a car that can transport your furniture home. Flea markets don't come with delivery so make sure to think ahead!
7) Don't walk away from an item you're in love with. If you're in love with the piece (especially furniture), bite the bullet and buy it! If you love it, chances are there's someone else that loves it just as much or more! Remember...these are usually one of a kind pieces that you won't be able to find at a furniture store like Pottery Barn or Crate & Barrel! I need to follow this tip myself because I have done this countless times. I'll walk away to think about it and come back to see it has a sold sign on it.

Happy Labor Day to you all!! I gotta go get ready for some BBQ fun with my boyfriend and friends now! Don't forget to have fun and stay hydrated today!

Tank: Emma and Sam (LF Stores)
Cutoff Shorts: Joe's Jeans (here)
Hat: LF Stores
Necklaces: Vanessa Mooney (here)
Bracelets: Vanessa Mooney (here and here), Luv AJ (here), and thrifted
Rings: Amrita Singh, TomTom Jewelry, vintage
Booties: Jeffrey Campbell 'Isley' (here in black)

No comments:

Post a Comment